Monday, June 16, 2014

Paperboy

Are there still paperboys anymore?  Around my town papers are delivered by folks in cars.  I don't know if it is like that everywhere!  I accidentally listed to The Paperboy thinking it was Paperboy and I wondered why this was so short!  I was worried that I had listened to another one of those graphic novels!  But then I kept asking people who read Paperboy, "Is it a graphic novel?  Are there a lot of pictures?"  and the answer was always, "Um...no."   So then I figured out that I had a completely different book! 
Paperboy was really, really good.  It was a slice-of-life kinda book.  A look at life in a neighborhood in Memphis in 1959 from the POV of a young teen boy who has a stutter.  I loved, loved this kid's family and the kid himself.  Vince Vawter has an author's note at the end.  What a wonderful, wonderful book.  I also learned what a U.S. Merchant Marine is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment