Thursday, June 12, 2014

What's so Wicked about Wikipedia?

I am sure there are people out there who don't like Wikipedia and probably call it Wickedpedia, but to me, there is nothing wicked about Wikipedia at all.  Wickedpedia, the book, is a different story.
First of all, great, great cover.  I've mentioned before how I always give to the wikipedia campaign at the end of the year and how good it feels just to get that silly "thank you" email, even though I know it is a programmed response, when I think about how I never did get an acknowledgement from This American Life, it just stands out to me and makes me give again (and, as I have mentioned, never give again to TAL).
But that is neither here nor there!  It has nothing to do with this new book, due out in a couple of weeks as part of the new Point Horror books from Scholastic.
First of all, the cover is terrific!  It really is.  If I saw this sitting on a library or book store shelf, it would instantly get my attention.  I will definitely order this for the library because it is coming out a good time for quick reads.
Unsurprisingly, Wickedpedia is a lot like a teen horror movie, especially when it comes to the characters:  none of them are likable and so we don't care when they are taken out in nasty ways.   Not great literature here, but not meant to be!  Although I had my suspicions when it came to the murderer, I didn't really figure it out until close to the reveal.  The book succeeds at what it tries to do:  it will keep readers turning the pages until the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment