What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, December 10, 2018

No Fault

There seems to be a new trend in book descriptions as provided by the publisher.  Have you seen this:  "for fans of Gone Girl" or "in the tradition of The Fault in Our Stars" or for those who loved "The Color Purple"  that kind of thing?  And I get why.  I mean, when I am helping someone find a book I start with, "What was the last book you loved?" and try to figure out their tastes from that.  But that's just a starting point because sometimes people want to branch out.  And either way is fine!  But when I personally read a blurb that says right away, "in the tradition of" or "for fans of" I worry that it means the book is just a cheap knock off of another book.  Which is bad for a bunch of reasons.  It doesn't give full credit to the author of the new book.  I don't know...I see both sides. I have to say I figured that Five Feet Apart was going to be a TFIOS knock off, albeit a bit late.  And it was actually the lateness of it that made me read it because I figured well, maybe not because this whole trend is kinda over.
Well, that was a tangent.  And Five Feet Apart was very good and not a knock off of TFIOS and I would recommend it!  So sorry for the tangent!  But if you were thinking about not reading FFA because you thought it was, don't be afraid!  Read it, it's good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment