What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Another Three Rivers

Three Rivers Rising was another departure for me. Set during the Johnstown Flood, obviously it isn't the modern drama I gravitate toward. This was another one of those times when I was desperate for a book on CD that wasn't too long and I happened upon this. I listened to a full-cast recording edition so that made it even more enjoyable. I haven't been to Johnstown in awhile, but I give it high marks in my review! I given decent marks to this book as well. Its the story of a young, wealthy girl from a prominent Pittsburgh family who meets and falls in love with a working-class dude from Johnstown while her family is vacationing in the posh rich folk hang out around the reservoir that eventually wiped out Johnstown. That was a long sentence! The book deals with her father's jerkish snobby ways and class distinctions. It was a good book...but there were two other random characters thrown in who could have had cool stories but they were played out enough. This wasn't an I LOVED it book but it was interesting and decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment