What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Not so good

Defining Dulcie was pretty bad. A coming-of-age story of a sixteen year old girl who experiences the accidental death of her father. Right after her dad dies her mother moves the two of them from Connecticut to San Francisco. Dulcie stays a month but one night steals her dad's truck and drives back across the country to live with her grandfather. Her mom obviously isn't happy but she let's her go. The book really isn't too much of anything to write home about. Its kinda Joan Bauer-ish which is a little too on the tame side for me.
One of the thing that bugs me, too, is that Dulcie calls her grandfather by his first name. Frank. I just thinks that dumb. How many people REALLY call their grandparents or parents by their first names to their faces? Not too man, I bet. I mean I have never met anyone personally who does this. Sure behind their back or whatever, but not face to face.
Anyway, Dulcie is so totally unlikeable.
Spoiler......................
The story goes on and introduces this girl who has an abusive mom. This is supposed to make Dulcie realize how good she has it. I mean, that's what all the reviews say. I didn't even pick up on that, probably because I didn't even care.
But anyway...the girl's house is a wreck and is all smelly and stuff and the girl's mom is clearly messed up. Dulcie says this stuff to the girl! Like makes comments about the messy house and the cranky mom (she's just cranky at the start). Like what the heck? Who DOES that?
Anyway, I define Dulcie as dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment