What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Kinda Sweet


I do read a lot of rather sad books. I remember talking to high school reading classes and having a student ask me if I read anything but depressing books. Well, sometime I do. Sometimes! I mean, a lot of these books aren't depressing at all! The Sweet Life of Stella Madison wasn't depressing at all! In fact, it is one of those books that people call a "summer read" - the quick kind that you can zip through and not think too much about and not cry over. That's this book. And that's probably why I didn't like it all that much. I mean, it was a decent fun read. But Stella is just so perfect and she has perfect friends and a perfect summer internship and a perfect boyfriend and so on and so on.
The conflict comes in when Stella finds that, even though she has a rather wonderful boyfriend, she is physically attracted to her mother's chef intern- an older, hot dude.
The conflict arises because Stella's parents are split. They still love each other in some ways, but they can't be married, nor have they divorced yet, so they are in limbo. This has made Stella afraid of relationship commitment, as well.
Sweet Life, is what it is, and it isn't any more than it promises to be. A light, summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment