What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Second Myracle

Hooray! I finished another book! The danger isn't over, as I am still not feeling that I NEED A READ pull, but I read this one in one sitting. The Fashion Disaster That Changed My Life is yet another Myracle book. I see a lot of similarities in all of Myracle's characters but I don't mean that in a bad way. Its kind of like I wish they'd all get together and hang out. Or that they knew each other peripherally. Like how Sunny Randall's shrink is Spenser's girlfriend. I think that Allison, from TFDTCML would be a great friend for Winnie in The Winnie Years Series, for example.
Allison's first day of seventh grade is pretty bad. She ends up a school with a pair of her mom's underwear clinging to her pants. I know that sounds like it couldn't happen, but it happened in my family, only not as bad. My mom went out with one of my dad's socks on her pants and my dad left for work with a sock in his pocket and thought it was a handkerchief and pulled it out in front of his boss. Obviously, it could have been worse for them, as it was for Allison.
This book is all about growing up and outgrowing your friends, dealing with the desire to be popular and finding out who you are. All without the nastiness of a Judy Blume novel. When I say that I mean, that somehow...I think that Judy Blume is the kind of author who WANTS her characters to suffer. I don't get that sense with Myracle. Or anyone else. Maybe I need to go back though and read Blume again. This is just what I'm remembering from being that perfect Judy Blume age when I read them. Anyway, this was a great book and is really helping me get back on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment