What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Because Your Kiss is On My List

Ugh. The song title SO fits with the book, but I wouldn't have this song anywhere near a playlist of mine! I'm not even granting it a link, so there!
The 80s had to the the absolute WORST era for popular music. The shear hideousness of Heart, Cindy Lauper, and all the rest sent me running to the country music. Yes, I was country when country wasn't cool. I was country when country music was still country music.
But now I am WAY off topic.
Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List is a lovely little book, a collaboration between David Levithan (Will Grayson, Will Grayson and Are We There Yet) and Rachel Cohn (Very LeFreak). These two teamed up for Nick and Nora, as I've mentioned before here.
Naomi and Ely (pronounced like Eli- as in he's a dude) are BFFs. N is straight and secretly in love with Ely, but he is all the way gay. When Ely falls for Naomi's boyfriend, N realizes that she's never really going to marry E after all. The BFFs break up. Can they restore their friendship? Will Ely and N's former BF make their relationship work? Will N find a love of her own?
All those questions are fleshed out and some are answered in a very funny but serious-about-the-pains of first-and/or-true-love story.
Anyone who has ever had their heartbroken and tried to mend it will find themselves in this book, set in the, much wilder than my little growing up, suburban world of NYC's West Side.
Highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment