What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Book from Hell

Ugh. Haven't read one like this since A Sense of Urgency. Prom Nights from Hell, indeed. At least the title gives it away. Five stories from five YA authors, one of them my beloved Lauren Myracle, but even her story seemed to have been written poorly to blend in with the other four. Well, that's not true. Stephanie Meyer's Hell on Earth short story was actually decent. I would say a saving grace, but it's too bizarre to say that about a short story with that title, and nothing could redeem the rest of this book. Meg Cabot's offering is an ok C+. The other two stories by Kim Harrison and Michele Jaffe are so plodding and ridiculous that I hope to never read another thing by either of them. Not even a pamphlet or business card. If you're going to read any of these, the Meyer one is the only one worth it. I had actually read it a long time ago while waiting for my mom in the thrift store. Most of the stories have up-in-the-air endings but you SO don't care because the characters are annoying or just plain dull. With the exception of Meyer's, I wish I hadn't wasted my time. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment