What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Man...

This was a creepy book...a prequel of sorts to Bliss, Rhymes with Witches is another Lauren Myracle marvel. I was glad to read this one after I felt so blah about her short story in Prom Nights. Rhymes the same I-can't-put-this-book-down kind of book that I have come to expect from Ms. Myracle's Miraculous word processor or pen or pencil or whatever she uses to write.
First I have to talk about the whole Bliss-Rhymes connection. Like I said in the first sentence here, I figured that Rhymes was a prequel to Bliss because the evil high school freshman chick in Bliss, Sandy, is now Lurl the Pearl, a teacher in Rhymes. (she becomes Lurl the Pearl at the end of Bliss) so like Bliss comes before Rhymes. But it was written after. But I still think it doesn't matter if you read Bliss first or Rhymes first. Kind of like Graceling and Fire. But then I read this review in which the reviewer (who apparently is an author but I can't find her books on amazon or anything) says that you should read Rhymes before you read Bliss because the books don't make sense if you don't. Huh? I am so not even agreeing with that. Not just because I loved both books but because Bliss was very easy to understand and Rhymes was very easy to understand and it is fine no matter what way you read them, I bet since if you read them in the order in which they were written it is all good, I am sure. And if you are like me and read Bliss first, it is even cooler because you get to find out what happens to Lurl the Pearl.
Anyway....this is the story of Jane who wants to be popular, not just popular but part of the Bitches-- a group of girls (a senior, junior, sophomore and then Janie would be the freshman) who are the "royalty" of the school. She soon finds out though that there is more to this group than meets the eye.
Creepy and oh so good to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment