What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Not quite 1954...but almost

A Single Shard isn't as in love with itself as Reach Me. So we aren't talking the Travesty of 54 status here.  It isn't as ridiculous as Wintergirls either. Ming the Potter is perhaps as unlikable as Margaret's gang, but at least he has a reason (he's grieving the loss of his only son) and he redeem himself. But SS is predictable in a major way. As soon as you find out that Ming the Potter is hoping to get a royal commisson to make pots you KNOW what's gonna happen. The title gives it away. No big deal though. That happens, right? Murder on the Orient Express, Killing Mr. Griffin, etc. SS is a nice little story. It's just that it probably could have been done better as a picture book for older readers. Some thing along the lines of My Rows and Piles of Coins or Demi's The Empty Pot and The Hungry Coat. I could see SS done like one of  these with no complaints. But to drag out such a predictable story, no matter how "cute" it is...I just don't think that's Newbery Neighborhood. Ok sure, I'm the one who can't wait for the next LA Candy to come out, but I am also the one who picked up on the shear ridiculousness of After Tupac only getting Honor status.  I won't do a summary of SS, it would end up being longer than the book should have been if I try. I'm just terrible at that, as you know. Then again, nobody's giving me a Newbery, are they?  Still if you have to pick one to read, go with Everything on a Waffle.  It is a much better book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment