What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

More Magic

Sarah M. writes a lot of chick lit.  I have always been opposed to chick lit.  I am not sure why, but I know it started with Bridget Jones Diary.  Not that I read it or anything.  Not that I ever saw the movie.  But the previews and the talk about it, all of it, was a serious turn off for me. 
Still I love everything YA I've read from her and I am loving the Magic in Manhattan series, including the second book, Frogs and French Kisses.  It takes me longer to get through these books, and I am not sure why...because I thoroughly enjoy them and I'm looking forward to reading the third, yet I don't blow through them with the ferocity of some. 
Many laughs in this book.  I love how shallow Rachel is.  Miri, her little sister, is a witch and really set on righting all of the world's wrongs with her magic powers.  Rachel just wants Miri to help her find love and have great dress for the prom.
Here's an example:
She whips out her notebook.  "Worrying about things more important that prom.  Like ridding the world of land mines, number three on my list, and slave trafficking, number four.  Fixing the ozone layer, number five. And there was an oil spill this morning off the coast of France.  Do you know how many whales are going to die?"  She makes an arrow in her notebook.  "The oil just got bumped up to number three."
I squirm in my seat.  "Okay.  I'm sorry.  Sounds serious."
She shakes her head and I notice the heavy circles under her eyes.  "Life is serious," she says, and sighs, then returns to reading, leaving me staring at my hands. 
I could so use a manicure.
Love it!  Love Rachel!
I do love Miri, too, though...she has a very good heart. 
Rachel and Miri find that their mom is back to using magic as well.  This time to find men.
Great book, very funny!  Makes you want to have magical powers...but not really.....

No comments:

Post a Comment