What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

It's Impossible

This is truly a beautiful song.  It relates to Impossible because of the title of course.  (Give me a break, I've made bigger stretches before, you know it.) and it also should be mentioned in this blog about books because, as we all know, one place to find books is a library if you go to the Canonsburg Library (not the new one that is featured on the website, but the current library) you will find a statue of Perry Como in front of it.  Because he's is from Canonsburg, of course.
Now.  On to Impossible by Nancy Werlin.
When I first heard the premise, a teenage girl discovers that her family is under the curse of an Elf King and she needs to perform three "impossible" tasks so that she can break it.  If she doesn't, she'll go crazy and her soon-to-be-born daughter will most likely suffer the same fate when she, herself becomes a teen.  Elf King?  Not usually my bag.  But this was recommended by Kelly and so it has to be good, right?  And also, it is set in the present day, so I knew I had to read it.  And I am so glad that I did.
What a wonderful blend of romance, fantasy and suspense.  I listened to it on CD but had to read some of it, too because I wasn't in my car enough and I needed to find out the ending.  Lucy, the teenage girl and her boyfriend Zach are very likable characters.  I found Zach to be so dreamy in his character.  The kind of boy you would want your daughter to marry for sure.
The whole impossible task thing is tied to the song Scarborough Fair, a song I only knew as a Simon and Garfunkel tune, but actually, it's a lot more.  Who knew!  Not me!  That's why I love reading!
Great book and I can't wait to read the sequel, Extraordinary.  Oh, but wait...as I went to gather that link, I see that it is written "in the vein of Impossible"so maybe it is one of the "companion books" instead of a sequel.  Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment