What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, February 21, 2011

What Kind of Girl Are You?

Not that Kind of Girl is a book written by a Pittsburgh resident!  How cool is that?  Siobhan Vivian lives in Pittsburgh and teaches at Pitt!  I saw on her website that I missed seeing her a couple local bookstores.  I am sad.  I like listening to authors.  Maybe she'll have something when a new book comes out and I can go then.  I really did like Not that Kind of Girl, even though I didn't like the main character at all!  I don't think she was meant to be likable though.  Still it was hard to whip through the book, because I really didn't like her at all!  Natalie is either a total jerk or maybe I am SO not like Natalie that I just couldn't feel any sympathy for her at all.
She's very driven and self-righteous and  reminded me a lot of Reese Witherspoon's character in Election.  She's truly rotten to her friends.  No, I take that back.  She's truly rotten to her FRIEND.  She only has one friend and she doesn't deserve her.
The book deals with questions of female sexuality that have been around for a long time.  Is it okay for a girl to be with a guy just for the joy of sex?  Why is a guy who plays around a stud, but a girl who does so is a slut?
I wish there had been a little more insight into why Natalie is the way she is, but still, this book brings up a lot to talk about and I look forward to reading more for Vivian.

No comments:

Post a Comment