What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Someday

Someday.  That's quite the word, is it not?  How many Somedays are there in one person's life?
I have quite a few Somedays.
Someday I will lose weight again.
Someday I will not be late.
Someday I will manage my money more efficiently.
Someday I will drive across country again.
Someday I will clean my car.
Someday I will say I'm sorry.
Someday I will make that phone call.
Someday I will live as Jesus would have me live.
When will that someday be here?  
Until Someday arrives, I suppose I will keep on trying to achieve those far away Someday goals.
Thinking about all of those Somedays can be a bit depressing!
As I write about them, I am reminded of Frank's Here's That Rainy Day.  A very depressing song.  But a good one.  No.  An excellent one. 
There's also this excellent song as well.Thinking about Somedays is depressing, but it can be good as well because being aware of one's goals and hopes for Someday Achievements does bring one closer to Someday.  Does it not?
Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You is depressing, even when it is humorous.  STPWBU, however, isn't that good.
I know it's a big deal right now, with the movie coming out but I just didn't find it to be all that good.
I found out about it when a mom came into the place where I work one night and said her son needed the book Someday This Pain Will Be Yours.  I did some searching and came up with STPWBY but she didn't think that was it, so I asked her to call her son and sure enough, it was STPWBY. 
It reminded me, with a hidden chuckle, of the time, back in '89 when a woman came up to me at work and asked to put Ken Follet's Pillars of Cement on hold.  Back to the book...
It was fine.  It starts out promising, but then I think it gets just a little too serious for it's own good.  There's a lot of navel gazing.  James is eighteen and having an identity crisis.  He has a fairly screwed up family, but not overwhelmingly so, and they all are basically kind.  James just isn't very likable.  I think that's the problem.  I just didn't care if James was gay or straight of if he went to college or not.  Those are the two big dilemmas he seems to be having.  
I suppose this is just one of those coming of age novels that isn't as good as some, but not as bad as others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment