What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

1000 Miles from Nowhere

Another great song.  Ten Miles Past Normal was recommended to me by my friend Beth.  She and her tween-ager, a lovely young girl named Jessie.  It was a quick and great read, and I discovered that I had read a couple other books by the author.  The Kind of Friends We Used to Be and, prior to blogging, The Secret Language of Girls.  I enjoyed those books as well, even though the first two were tough, tough because they dealt with friends growing apart and all of that horrible stuff that middle school brings to kids.  Ten Miles isn't quite as painful, though Janie Gorman might not think so!  She is not too far along into her freshman year of high school and finding out that it isn't as dreamy and full of fun as she thought it might be.  What makes it especially tricky for her is that she and her family live way on out in the boonies, on a farm.  Often some of that "fresh farm smell" has made her the subject of ridicule.  Also, she finds that it's hard to find her own place in a big, big school.  Great book with a side story about the fight for Civil Rights in the South.  Highly recommended, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment