What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fairy Tales Can Come True, It Can Happen to You...

if you're young at heart.  Good song.  Great song even.
And I thought that Cloaked was yet another great book from one of my favorite authors, Alex Flinn.  I've sung her praises before here.  I was disappointed that Beastly the movie didn't get better reviews and/or a better response at the box office, because, while I didn't see the movie, I thought the book was excellent and I was hoping it would spark a great interest in Flinn's novels.  Notice I said better reviews AND/OR a better response at the box office, because the two are not mutually exclusive!  I just hope more folks will read Flinn's books.  She is a truly gifted and fresh writer.  Cloaked takes a bunch of fairy tales, from The Elves and the Shoemaker to The Salad (which I had never heard of) and turns them into the story of Johnny, who works in a posh South Beach hotel, fixing shoes for the hotel's wealthy guests.  Johnny meets a princess and is suddenly off on a quest that takes him to the Florida Keys and all around the world.  My buddy Karen is vacationing in Florida now and as I was reading this book I was asking her about the wildlife mentioned in the book.  It was a fun bonus!
This book is a lot of fun and I can't wait to read more from Flinn, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment