What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

As I Watch the Oscars

I am reminded, of course of 1954 and so the winners and losers are meaningless. I watch because it's fun and interesting, but not because the awards have meaning. How can they, after 1954, after all!
I am also remembering my dear friend Joanie while they announce the winner of Best Foreign Film, A Separation. I have no doubt that, if it had been playing in Pittsburgh, we'd have seen it. Sadly I don't even know if it was playing here. That part of my life, going to see foreign movies, doing things that don't fit into my pretty predictable, utterly suburban, mall-going world, is over. It makes me sad. But I don't want to do those things anymore. It's just not part of who I am now. I save those memories and I cherish those times. That was then, this is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment