What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Book I Almost Never Got to Finish

I started reading My Life as a Stuntboy last week and I took it into work with me when I was about 3/4 finished.  A patron saw the book and said it looked like something his son would love to read.  How can you say no to a patron who is dying to read a good book to his son?  So I just said, "Here!  Take this copy!" and inside I was SAD!  I was almost to the end!  I wanted to find out what happened to twelve-year-old Derek who, while doing stunts on UCLA's campus with his buddy Matt, is discovered by a stuntman.  The stuntman, Tony, believes that Derek will be a perfect stuntboy for a film he is working on.  At first I thought this is weird, no way Derek's parents will let him be in a movie because some random dude met him on a college campus and offers him a job, but the book explains that.  Living in LA, everybody knows people who work in the movie industry and Derek's dad works in it, too.  So I guess it was too weird.  The book is written in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid way, cartoons (Derek draws cartoons of his vocabulary words so that he can remember them with greater ease).  If you like Wimpy Kid, you will definitely like Stuntboy, but this is a worthy book all on its on, not just a cheeseball rip-off.  I loved it!  I'm glad I got my hands on another copy and I hope father and son enjoyed it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment