What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dead (Possible Spoilers)

As soon as I started Dead to You I was reminded of Double, even before I got to the end of DTY. I never saw the ending coming, but this was one of the rare books that I skimmed somewhat, then went back and reread, incase I missed anything good. I didn't. I just should have gone with the skimming.
Even though it is set in the great state of Minnesota, this book just couldn't keep my interest. I am in the minority here, if you look at all of the other reviews of the book, though. Folks really liked DTY and I probably will read more by the author because she gets some serious praise. It could be that I just didn't like this particular story or the characters.
Ethan was abducted from his front yard when he was in second grade. Now he has returned home at age sixteen. It is a tough adjustment. His younger brother Blake doesn't believe that Ethan is really Ethan and Ethan admits that he doesn't remember much about his life before the abduction. Ethan is not a likable guy. No one in the story is likable, except for the mom. The whole book was just a downer and the swearing didn't seem natural at all. It was almost like the author was just throwing in swear words to make Ethan sound tough or distraught. It just sounded phony and forced. Maybe I'm just on a bad streak of books, but this one didn't do anything for me, though it might be good for guys, so I will tag it that way, but I do so with hesitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment