What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Back up North



Polly Horvath is a beautiful writer.  Her books are the kind that you fall right into and get lost in the world she has created.  I've loved everything I've read from her and I really enjoyed One Year in Coal Harbor.   This is a sequel to Everything on a Waffle and tells the further adventures of Primrose, her family, Burt and Evie, Uncle Jack and a new character, Ked, who is the new foster child of Burt and Evie.  What I like most of Horvath and Coal Harbor is that the book is written for middle-schoolers, but it doesn't talk down to them like so many middle school books do.  It also isn't pretentious at all.  It has that delicate balance of being wicked smart, but not being smart for smart's sake or preachy.  Great story.  Very funny in places.  Very touching.  

No comments:

Post a Comment