What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Everyone's Pain

is unique.  And no one's pain is greater or less than another's pain.  I had to keep reminding myself of that when I read The Bathhouse, but man, I don't know...it is hard to feel for a lot of these protagonists in teen novels after you read The Bathhouse.  It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to think about my own little trials after reading The Bathhouse.   The Bathhouse is the story of an older teen girl who is taken to a prison camp, under suspicion of being a traitor during the Iranian Revolution.  I am embarrassed to say that prior to reading this book, I knew very little about the Revolution.  I knew about the Shah and Khomeini, but not about the religious aspects of the revolution and all of the different parties.  I remembered the hostages, of course, but not much else.  This is a story of torture and devotion and all kinds of things, wrapped up in one.  It is a tough book to listen to (I had the MP3) but it is well worth it and it lead me to learn more about that time period in history, which still impacts the world today.  Very well written and well done.  Recommended highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment