What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hmmm. (Some Spoilers)

I have a feeling that Shadowed Summer will with stay with me.  This book, set near Baton Rouge, in a very small town, has a lot in it, especially for a book less than 200 pages.  Being completely ignorant of the meaning of the phrase, "where y'at," I was confused a bit and found some of it to be a little choppy, but the book kept me speeding through the pages.  This is creepy ghost story, the story of three young teens who conjure up the spirit of a boy who died in 1989.  When they do so, they have no idea how close his death is to their own, living families.  It is good, good story.  And not a series.  I think that the homosexual angle is a little pushed, just maybe to make it contemporary or tell a lesson or something, so that was a little heavy-handed.  I am not making a judgement on homosexuality, I am just saying it didn't fit in the story very well.  Maybe with more information and development it would have, but here it just made it seem like an after school special.   Still, it was a very, very good and disturbing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment