What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Longest Race in the World

Wow.  Man.  I have to say The Scorpio Races...I wouldn't want to attend or read about more than one. One Scorpio Race lasts an eternity.  It is the LONGEST race in the world.  I listend to the book and it had to have 23239 disks and last 75 years.  Honestly.  Oh my gosh.  All I could think of was playing a Jones song and have it skip on a record player on "Now the race is on, now the race is on, now the race is on, now the race is on, now the race is on..." you get the idea.
Let me say, everyone I know LOVED this book.  Everyone LOVES the writing.  And Stiefvater is a great writer, okay?  But how could you even tell in this book?  It just went on and on.
The whole book is either people standing on a beach, in a storm shouting, "Kendirck!  Sean Kendrick!" or mucking about in a crappy town shouting, "Katie!  Katie Connelly!"
And speaking of the main character, she's a vulgar little snip and it just isn't becoming.  It reminded me of that Letterman thing..."with racers like this, it is a shame they all can't lose."
So I wrote this when I was listening to disk 5 of 10 and I still feel that same way about the book, but I have seen been reading up on the whole bullying on goodreads thing.  I definately won't put this on goodreads because of that, but it does make me wonder then, what's the point of goodreads at all, if people don't want bad reviews on it?  I don't know.  I certainly don't mean anything bad toward Maggie Stiefvater.  I don't.  I mean, I said she was a great writer.  I just don't like this book.  I did say some negative things about it.  I still think that its pretty bad, especially if you don't like horses.  I mean it isn't that I don't like horses.  I don't want anyone to think that I am bullying horses here.  Maybe I will put this on goodreads and see if I get in trouble.  I honestly don't mean to bully anyone!  I just do think that there is a lot of "Kendrick!  Sean Kendrick!" and "Kate!  Kate Connelly!" in the book, and not much else, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment