What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

To Everything Turn Turn Turn There is a Season

Turn Turn Turn.  The Turning has gotten average reviews on goodreads, not too much enthusiasm, kinda like a good foster parent (is that a mythological creature?).  But I really liked it.  Great cover, too, huh?  It is a take on Henry James's The Turn of the Screw, but I have never read that, so I didn't know the ending!  Anyway, I read about the novella and the endings aren't the same.  But the story kinda is.  Jack is a teen spending two months on an island taking care of two kids.  The island is a totally isolated place- no internet, tv, etc.  And it is pretty scary itself.  Jack starts to see ghosts of folks who worked there before, but as he keeps on writing letters to his girlfriend, telling her about the ghosts, we start to think maybe he is a nutball.  Good, scary story.

No comments:

Post a Comment