What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Hard Habit to Break

The Power of Habit has a lot of great stories in it. It reminds me of Malcolm Gladwell's books in that regard. But it's also a self-help book. I don't read many self-help books, as you can see, since I have this whole blog thing. I'm just not much of a self-help reader. Plus I like to read books that I can recommend to others and I don't think feel drawn to recommended self-help books to folks unless they ask.  And when they have asked, which has been rare, I usually recommend The Power of Positive Thinking. An oldie but goodie. And also Positive Imaging. When I was young these books had a huge impact on my life. I remember reading them when I was in sixth grade. I was having a tough times because I was so overweight and was called on it by my classmates. My grandma had these books lying around (Imaging had just come out) and I just picked them up. It really helped a lot. I have reread them over the years and found them just as helpful.
The Power of Habit gives lots of helpful ways to break bad habits like over-eating, smoking, etc. I can't say I was moved to try them but maybe I will. The stories in the book, however are fascinating.
When I rated it on goodreads, I was between 3 and 4 stars but I went with the 4 because I think we always need to give folks the benefit of the doubt. Plus, the author is very cute.  Yeah, I am shallow. 
This is a book that we were required to read for work and again, it reaffirmed my newly discovered belief that just because it is required, it doesn't mean it will be horrible
Some of the stories are about how businesses manipulate us, which we all know is true.  Like how Target uses their customer cards to track what you buy.  I mean we all know it, so it wasn't a shock, but it was still pretty amazing to see how much businesses know about all of us.  All those folks who use the Giant Eagle gas cards...man, Giant Eagle can probably write a book about everyone who has a card!  I won't link to Giant Eagle.  Not a fan. 
Anyway, good book, lots of good stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment