What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, August 24, 2013

My Heart Skipped a Beat or Two

Reading Heartbeat was a painful, beautiful experience.  Once again, Elizabeth Scott has written a beautiful, poignant novel.  I was thankful to receive this egalley from netgalley.com and can't wait until it is published so that I can talk about it with people! 
Emma's mother is dead.  But her body is being kept alive until the child within her can be born.  Emma resents her stepfather for making the decision to keep her mother on life support until her brother can be born.  Once they were a close, loving family and she never doubted that Dan loved her as if she were his natural child.  Now Emma can't study, can't hardly function.  She meets Caleb Harrison, a bad dude with a reputation for all kinds of terrible things, but it turns out he is the one person who can help her get through the hurt, and maybe she can help him as well, for he is hurting, too.  Great characters.  Great story.  Heartbreaking and wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment