What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

When I first heard..

my friend Julie describe Sure Signs of Crazy, I thought that there was no way I wanted to read it.  When she told me it was the story of a twelve-year-old girl whose mother had tried to drown her and her twin brother when they were little, killing her brother, I thought, nah.  Not in the mood for a downer.  But then she told me it wasn't a downer at all.  And she was right.  And wow, did I love this book.  Karen Harrington is a new author for me, but I will be sure to read more by her.  What a lovely, sad, happy hopeful story.  Sarah Nelson's mother did try to kill her.  Now her mom is in a mental hospital, prison situation and doesn't have much contact with her.  Her father is an alcoholic, but a good man.  Sarah writes two diaries, a fake one, incase anyone finds it, and a secret one, in which writes to Atticus Finch, wishes he was her dad.  They live in a rented home in Texas and move around a lot when folks find out that they are "that family."  What a great story.  I know it sounds like a downer, but it isn't.  It is lovely.  Please read this.  You will fly through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment