What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

While My Friends Were Meeting A.S. King

While my friends were at the PaLA Conference in Seven Springs, watching A.S. King receive the 2013 Carolyn Wicker Field Award for her book Ask the Passengers, I was at home reading Reality Boy, King's newest book.  While I would have loved to meet Ms. King, I must say that I felt so fortunate to be able to read Reality Boy.  If someone would have said, "What would you rather do, meet King or read Reality Boy.  Pick one.  I would pick the book, because man, I wouldn't want to miss this book.  While I was reading it, I couldn't help but think of Honey Boo-Boo and worry that her time on reality tv is going to haunt her for the rest of her life.  Gerald was on a reality tv show when growing up, where he was known as the boy who went to the bathroom in inappropriate places when he was unhappy.  Now he is seventeen, but his time on the show and more important, his time growing up in a seriously messed up family with a total jerk for a mom and a psychopath for an older sister is still haunting him.  King is just an amazing writer.  Her characters as so real.  I have already recommended this book and will continue to do so.  Fantastic.  Just like everything I have read by King.

No comments:

Post a Comment