What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Don't Know Much about History

I really don't know anything about Ancient Roman history, with the exception of its art and so reading the latest I Survived...The Destruction of Pompeii, 79 A.D. taught me about this ancient city's demise.  Sure I knew that Mt. Vesuvius erupted and destroyed the town, but I didn't know much else.  This is the second I Survived book I've read, the tenth in the series and I enjoyed this one so much more than I Survived the Attacks of September 11, 2001.  I speculate that reason I didn't like that book was because I remember 9/11 so well.  Here with Pompeii, it is, literally and figuratively "ancient history."  Enjoying this book so much makes me want to go back and read the others in the series, that I haven't been around for, so not Hurricane Katrina or the Japanese Tsunami.  If this book is indicative of the others, I can definitely see why it appeals to kids.  They haven't lived thorough any of these disasters, at least probably not that they recall.  This title is action-packed and the main character, Marcus is so life-like.  Of course this will be a big hit and it should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment