What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Mary Downing Hahn, is it time for a Newbery?

Where I Belong is the newest book from Mary Downing Hahn and it is more like Stepping on the Cracks than say, All the Lovely Bad Ones or Deep and Dark and Dangerous.
But where I belong is like all of the Mary Downing Hahn books I have read in that I couldn't put it down.  Real characters, so well written and original.  Easy to recommend to someone who wants a great, great read.  
She is one of those authors whose talents just make me say, "wow."  Hahn has never won a Newbery that I could see, or an Honor, but she should have either taken the whole deal or gotten an Honor for Stepping on the Cracks, for sure.  I really feel that she has a good chance this year with this moving story of a young boy who has been bounced around from foster home to foster home and put up with misery at school.  Now he finds himself looking for the Green Man in the woods near his current home.  I am not good at summing up books, and there is no need to, so I will only say that this book was excellent.  And if Newbery doesn't pull another 1954, then it should get some kind of recognition.   

No comments:

Post a Comment