What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Weren't We All?

Born Confused was a book I really, really enjoyed.  I think that some of the reviews that I read on goodreads were from some people who "didn't get" the whole point of the character of Gwen, as there were a lot of negative things said about her.  That she was a hateful, rotten person.  I don't think she was a hateful, rotten person, I think she was just a human.
Also there were some who criticized that the main character, Dimple, chose to drink and smoke weed, but again, I think that people make those choices sometimes, and while we can sit back as adults and say, "She really shouldn't do that."  we need to recognize that some teens do just that.  The same people who pointed out Dimple's choices to smoke and drink also criticized the inclusion of transvestites and lesbians in the book, so there ya go.   I can't really lesbianism compared to smoking weed...very odd...
I do agree with some reviews that the book is too long, but I again, I am not a long book reader.
Dimple is caught in the world between India and the US.  Not sure of where she belongs, not sure of who she is.  There is a love triangle here.  The characters are very, very real.  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment