What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Gaffigan, Rivers and Black

Joan Rivers could be very offensive, but she was very funny.
Jim Gaffigan is not offensive and really funny.
Michael Ian Black is very offensive and mildly amusing.
You're Not Doing It Right:  Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death and Other Humiliations was hard for me. Black complains a lot about his children.  I am SUPER sensitive about this because my dear, sweet, loving, kind and beautiful personal adviser and her husband lost their beautiful, sweet, incredible baby girl before she was born.  And I feel like life is a sacred gift.  And I feel like joking about how much you don't like your kids is never funny.  And I am admit that this is a personal bias.  And so right away I didn't like MIB.  
Then I realized that he has written some children's picture books that I really like such as A Pig Parade is a Terrible Idea and The Purple Kangaroo.  
I then found out he was on one of my most favorite shows from yesteryear, The State.  
Still, this book is not funny.  And I won't be reading another MIB book.  Some jokes are just "too soon" for always.


No comments:

Post a Comment