What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Hidden

For a long time I have been recommending the Shadow Children series.  I am honest when I do and say that I have not read them, but I have heard great things about the book.  I finally thought I should give one a listen.  I don't know if I can recommend them any more without saying that I personally am not too blown away by them!  Among the Hidden is the first.  To be fair, I need to remember that this was published in 1998.  It isn't dated, not really, except the dialing up sound of the modem was a neat memory that kids won't recognize.  But there have been so many stories like this since then.  Maybe not exactly like this, of course, but a dystopian society, ruled by a punishing government, in this case, because natural resources are becoming more and more scarce, the number of children a family is allowed to have is two.  It really isn't far fetched though, is it, considering China's female infanticide horror.  The father in this story is just awful.  Just awful.  I remember really promoting this series when it first came out, I wonder what kids think of it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment