What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

What Does This Mean?

When I heard about Blitzed I wasn't sure how to feel.  My dear friend told me about the book, which details the use of drugs; especially methamphetamine, by the Third Reich.  She said that is made greater sense to her.  That otherwise, how could humans be capable of such unspeakable horrors.  And we talked about horrible crimes we had heard of, committed by those under the influence of powerful drugs.
I bought the book right away, needing to see for myself.
This of course, does not excuse nor fully explain the atrocities committed during WW2; nor is it meant to by the author, Norman Ohler.  But Hitler's brain and heart and soul were already so fouled, that the addition of meth to the mix made him all the more toxic.
In a way I felt better about life when reading this.  It is hard to say that though, I mean, reading anything about the horrors of WW2, how can that make one feel "better" so maybe that isn't the word.  I felt I had a more full understanding after reading this, not in that it made me understand how the Nazis could do what they did, but that my thoughts that the world isn't getting worse are correct.  There is a lot of drug use today, but there ALWAYS has been.  Human nature is not getting worse.  It is the same.  There has always been and always will be evil.  We just hear about the evil more now, because of the media.  But we can't let the evil overcome the light.  And it won't.  It won't.  Because just like a pin prick of light slices through the darkness, the good will always, always shine through.  We just have to believe that.  And keep moving forward until the day when He will take us Home.  Until then, we must be vigilant.  Guard each one's dignity, save each one's pride, fight against evil and work for inclusion and acceptance and diversity and freedom and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment