What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

American Shakespeare

Today I read that Arthur Miller is America's Shakespeare.  The same has been said for August Wilson.   I like Miller but I don't like Shakespeare, but I still know that is a compliment!  I like August Wilson better than Miller, but I do like Miller!  Broken Glass is a very thought-provoking story.  It is set in 1938 in Brooklyn where a woman of Jewish heritage is experiencing paralysis brought on at least in part by news of Kristallnacht and the horrors that are beginning in Europe with the rise of Hitler.

It's a short play but packed with a lot.  Self-denial and self-hatred and the complexities of love.  Powerful.


No comments:

Post a Comment