What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Lord only gives you....


as much as you can handle.  Have you heard that before?  I have and it just makes me sick.  I bet it makes Jesus even sicker!  Just My Luck features the Barrows family who have been given a lot from God, if you believe that, which, I must make clear- I do not!
Thing is though, if that idea makes someone feel better about their own circumstances, then more power to them!  I would never judge someone's way of dealing.
I learned that in seminary when I read a book by Tex Sample and I have remembered this ever since:

I remember once in class I was making fun of the song “In the Garden.” Not only did I parody its lyrics as hopelessly individualistic, privatistic, and full of escapist spirituality, but I launched into singing it in a nasal voice with affront forethought. I was on a roll until after the class when a thirty-five-year-old woman approached me and told this story: “Tex, my father started screwing me when I was eleven and he kept it up until I was sixteen and found the strength somehow to stop it. After every one of those ordeals I would go outside and sing that song to myself: I go to the garden alone while the dew is still on the roses, and he walks with me and talks with me and he tells me that I am his own. Without that song I don’t know how I could have survived. Tex, don’t you ever ever make fun of that song in my presence again.”4

We all deal with things in our own way.

Again, I am digressing.

Anyway, this book was just so very good.  So very, very good.





No comments:

Post a Comment