What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Where Oh Where

Where I Want to Be is written by the same author who did The Orange Houses and I really liked that one, so I wasn't surprised to like Where I Want to Be.  I take that back.  It is not written by the same author at all.  But I am glad I didn't know this, because I liked TOH and so that is why I read WIWTB!  But now that I look at The Orange Houses again I see that while the authors have the same last name, they are no more the same person than Demi Moore and Mary Tyler.  TOH is written by Paul Griffin and WIWTB is by Adele Griffin, who is also not the same person as Adele or Merv
WIWTB is a bleak and yet hopeful story.  It is a tale of two sisters, Jane, speaking from the other side of life and Lily, about to start her senior year of high school.  Jane was killed by a car during her high school graduation week and is still out there, hanging on, in the in-between, at her beloved grandparents' home.  They also are deceased.  Lilly is still holding on to much guilt and grief and uncertainty.  Jane suffered from mental illness during her brief life and this is a tough book, but one you will understand if you have ever loved someone with a mental illness.  Great, thought-provoking book.
Oh yeah, set in Rhode Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment