What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, August 1, 2016

Converted

On goodreads one will find some reviews for Conversion that are really good and one will find some that are very critical.  While I didn't give this book a 5, I did give it a 4.  I thought it was really good!  I thought the main characters were real.  And I learned stuff, too!
Like the real Salem Witch Trials didn't happen in present day Salem, MA. They happened in current-day Danvers, then Salem Village.  The book also points out that The Crucible is not really about the witch trials, but rather about social life in the 1950s and McCarthyism.
This book is set in both the 1690s in Salem Village and also in the 2010s in Danvers.  Back and forth it goes, the Salem story dealing with the witch trials and the contemporary story dealing with accusations and love and heartache and stress of the senior years of highly competitive girls at a highly competitive Roman Catholic school.
Good stuff.  I really did like this one.  It was an original take on a topic that has had a lot of play.
I also learned what Conversion Disorder is!

No comments:

Post a Comment