What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, February 17, 2020

Controversy

I go to this website a lot, put together by Dr. Debbie Reese.  It is a wonderful resource, especially for someone like me who doesn't know a lot, but tries to do the right thing.  When I read about Race to the Sun, a part of the Rick Riodran Presents imprint, I thought I would not read RTTS, because I really respect Dr. Reese and recommendations.   But after I dug a little deeper, I found that there might be more to RTTS than what Dr. Reese recommends.  I still deeply value her insight.  I do.  But I wanted to read this first.  That is because I had posed the question of what to do about it to the women with whom I work. 
I am posting an email I got from one of my brilliant co-workers.  She is also a published author, but I won't include her name until I okay it with her.  I think what she says makes a lot of sense.

And then I read RTTS and I really, really enjoyed it.  And I also thought that the author's note at the end was heartfelt, informed and important. 
Huh, I hadn't seen all of this, I guess it was buried under all of the American Dirt controversy on my timeline --

We do own this book (standing order probably) but I see that CLP and branches have chosen to to purchase it.

Oh, no I ordered it back in October; I've been ordering all of the Rick Riordan Presents titles.

What do you think?  Withdraw?  Or keep?

Personally I think we keep it?

I mean, it does get tricky with fiction, and fiction for children makes it more complicated. But...

There are a ton of books on our shelves that have iffy representation or outright racist depictions. We keep Little House ("the only good Indian is a dead Indian," the father participating in minstrel shows), Scott O'Dell books (award-winning historical fiction that has since been called out for a ton of cultural appropriation and misrepresentation of indigenous cultures), Harry Potter books (Jewish stereotypes, bad Asian representation, fat shaming of villains, and JKR is saying transphobic things all over twitter).To name just a few -- but the above are all white authors. (Wonder has also been called out for bad disability representation and using a disabled character's story to inspire able-bodied people)

So it doesn't sit right with me that the only one we're looking at pulling from our shelves is by a black & Pueblo author. And one who, while she did recently hit the NYT list, is not famous enough to cause much notice or complaint if we didn't carry her books. It's the "easy" pull, basically.

(I also see this as a bit different to the issue of, say, Thanksgiving books -- which are pretending to give facts about the past but sweep aside actual genocide for a fake happy story and inaccurate caricatures that inspire teachers to dress children up in appropriative costumes)

And things I read while looking this up:


Rebecca Roanhorse commenting (part of her comments are about how there's a lot of anti-blackness in the NDN communities, which I don't know enough to comment on -- but I used to know someone who is half Cherokee and was cut off from the Cherokee side of the family because their mom is white and they and their sibling both looked too white; it's a complicated problem, so while I don't want to dismiss people's critiques, I also don't want to dismiss people's experiences of racism among their communities): https://twitter.com/RoanhorseBex/status/1220751798711046144
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/20/rebecca-roanhorse-reddit-ama-trail-of-lightning-dine-culture/

No comments:

Post a Comment