What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, May 6, 2016

Another!

When I was writing about Crenshaw, I found out about Home of the Brave.  In March I went to Denver and I got my Denver Public Library card, where I found the audio book!  And I listened to it and it was great!  So many thanks to Katherine Applegate, goodreads.com and Denver Public Library for making this all possible!
Kek is from Sudan and because of all of the war in Darfur. MinneapolisMinnesota. First he is in a refuge camp and then he is sent to live with his aunt and his cousin, who is in eleventh grade.  Kek is in fifth.
This was Applegate's first book after the Animorphs.
I found it to be so so so good...there were times when I laughed and times when my heart cried.
I wonder how this matches up to the actual experiences of Sudanese refugees.  I am trying to find something written about the research that Applegate did to write this and/or the reaction of the Sudanese refugee community.  I so want this to be an authentic kind of story, because it is just so very, very good.  There are a lot of really good African proverbs in this book as well.
OH MY GOSH!
I just realized, though I think I knew this before, but I am not sure, but I just realized that Applegate also wrote the Roscoe Riley Rules series, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE and recommend to everyone in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment