What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Overstayed Welcome (Possible Spoiler)

I read Hotel Ruby even though I wasn't a huge fan of Suzanne Young's The Program, which I gave only one star to and I see I didn't even write up a review for it!  Which is odd, because I read it back in 2013, when I wasn't missing a lot of reviews, or so I thought!   The second cover here is the cover that I saw when I picked the book for a listen.  The first picture is the new cover, according to Young's blog and it also has a new title:  Hotel for the Lost.  Personally, I would have been more upset had that title and that cover been the ones that drew me to the book.  I find the new title and cover to be SO much cooler and creepier than the first title and the first cover.  There is a problem with being an old lady and reading teen books, sometimes.  I rarely see an ending or plot twist coming, but I saw this one from miles away and that was a disappointment.  However, the book is written for teens and I don't know if teens today have seen The Sixth Sense or read or seen The Shining, both of which I was reminded when listening to this one.  I am so old that Young herself might not have even been born when The Shining came out!  So maybe my thoughts on the book aren't fair.  It's just that there so many other really good books out there that seem to be good for an old person to enjoy as well as a teen.  Still, I can see where there would be appeal for this book.  It is a creepy.  And the premise is good, even if it isn't new.

No comments:

Post a Comment