What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

"But.," said David Levithan, "she is fat."

Julia isn't perfect.  But neither was her sister, who was seen as perfect before she died and even more so now that she has crossed over.  I am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter was a very good read.  I had been looking at buying it for a long time.  Grief and loss play big roles here and Erika L. Sánchez addresses them so well.  There is more though.  I mean, this book takes on a lot of issues, without being an "issue" book.  It's like life.  Changes, and coming of age and being a minority and poverty and immigration, and just well, this is all just done so well.  A great, great book.  One thing though...David Levithan would really, really not like Julia.  She often mentions that she is not thin.  There is even one scene in which she says that her shirt is a little tight around the arms but she LIKES THE WAY SHE LOOKS!  Oh, Mr. Levithan.  I am so sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment