What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

They Hate Us Cuz They Ain't Us

When my friend Karen and I came to our new job in 2009, we were met with a LOT of hostility from women a good ten years older than we.  It is hard to tell kids that "it gets better" when at age 50, 55, etc., people still resort to the same mean tactics they might have used when they were in elementary and middle school.
It was hard.  Those women all work in different departments at our place of work now.  It is still hard. They still make snarky comments and do hurtful things.  But Karen and I found a t-shirt at that says, "They Hate Us Cuz' They Ain't Us" and that is the approach that we take to them now!  Apparently it is from this movie!  Granted, that is probably not why they hate us, but it does make us feel better.
The Haters is by Jesse Andrews, the author of Me, Earl and the Dying Girl, which I read last year, I think.  One of the few!  I really liked that book, a lot!
I liked Haters, too.  The thing about The Haters is that it would be hard to recommend this to a teenager just because there is a lot of language and penis jokes and tips on oral sex.  All done in a funny way, but yeah, I couldn't recommend this to someone who was 16 or younger.  And anyone I did recommend it to, I would give a totally honest run down of the language and sex jokes, because I can see that it would be pretty offensive.  I grew up in a house were language was rough, so language doesn't bother me.  I don't think that the language and penis jokes added anything to the book or the plot, but yet, there were "real."  I mean, there are kids who do talk this way.
Also, the description of the "jazz talk" was right on!  And this was very funny.  It just isn't for everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment