What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Another Real Character

Bayou Magic just further proves how magical Jewell Parker Rhodes is.  I mean, what I said here:

"A lot of times books about an "event" have a main character, but the main character doesn't seem to have existed before the "event" and we can't surely know how the main character will continue to live after the "event" because all we know about him or her is what she or he was like during the "event."  Jewell Parker Rhodes characters in both Towers Falling and in Ninth Ward have lives before and we learn about them and we seem to get an understanding of how they will continue on after the book/"event" ends.  That seems like it would be a tricky thing to do.  But wow, Jewell Parker Rhodes just has that ability to make me care so much about Deja and Lenesha and I am so glad I got to "know" them as people."

Applies to this story that takes place during the Gulf Oil Spill of 2010.

I wonder if she can teach this to other authors.  I mean, this just seems like such a rare thing, you know?  These are historical fiction books, but they are also books about PEOPLE.  This was just an incredible book.  And now I am on to Sugar!

I also learned about Mami Water!

I loved the realistic relationship between Maddy and Bear.  And the way in which the community helped Bear and his father.  Everything about this book was superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment