What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Who Was Dietrich Bonhoeffer?

That's not the title of the book I read.  I read The Plot to Kill Hitler:  Dietrich Bonhoeffer:  Pastor, Spy and Unlikely Hero.  As of now there is no Who Was book about him, but I hope there will be! 
Patricia McCormick has written many books but I have only read Sold, which was just exceptional, so I need to read more from her.  Read this that she wrote last fall.  It is very powerful about another man's evil actions
Bonhoeffer might have felt that he committed evil acts, but I was thinking about Hitler when I wrote that sentence!
This book was so good in that it raised questions for me and answered questions.  I really want to know more about Bonhoeffer and especially his relationship with Karl Barth, another theologian I admire.  But Bonhoeffer and Barth get into it here.  McCormick says that Barth criticized Bonhoeffer for his role in the plot against Hitler.  At least that's what it sounded like to me.  But other places say that Barth was mad at Bonhoeffer not because he thought Hitler shouldn't be opposed or thwarted, but that Bonhoeffer was kind of a coward for running away from the Nazis and being safe back in the US, while others were dying in Europe.  I want to look into this more. Barth was very anti-Hitler, but the way that McCormick described his conversation with Bonhoeffer, having not known anything else, I would have assumed that Barth was more "live and let live" when it came to Hitler.  Again, that is just me, not having known anything, but this is a book for kids, so it just worries me because the readers might not know about Barth and the Confessing Church and so forth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment