What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

YOLO

I am not big on # and I am not good with the cool and hip and now sayings.  I think "YOLO" is an old cool and hip and now saying, as this book was published in 2014, when it was hip and now and cool.  But still, I wasn't big on using YOLO then.  Still, this book, YOLO,  was just as good as the other Internet Girls books, which I really, really enjoyed because it wasn't dated, even though it could have been, given its heavy reliance on technology.  The girls have gone off to college.  Maddie is at UCSC.  Zoe is at Kenyon and her boyfriend Doug is also at a school in Ohio, Oberlin.  Angela is at the University of Georgia.  Lauren Myracle is one of my most favorite authors. She just is.  Angela decides to go the way of the Greek.  So there is that angle.  There is a lot in here that kids face when they start college:  hard classes, roommate trouble, choosing a major, long distance relationships (friends and romantic), family rules, drinking, bi-curious kissing, date rape.  And it is all addressed very well, I think.  I know I am officially old when I saw I wouldn't want to go back to that time in my life.  Not that I think things are harder today.  As I have said, some things are harder and some things are easier, but human nature remains that same.  It's just that every part of life has it's own struggles and I guess those are not ones I would like to relive!

No comments:

Post a Comment