What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, May 23, 2016

That was...weird.

Weird isn't really a bad thing.  And Wink Poppy Midnight wasn't a bad book. It was just really, really weird.  It was poetic magical realism and floaty and heady and all of that.  And that isn't bad.  And it was really well written.  It was just really weird- for me!
Many write ups and ads for the book say that if one is a fan of Holly Black and/or We Were Liars, they will enjoy WPM.  I can totally see why that would be true.  This was more lyrical than those  WWL or any Holly Black book I have read, but I haven't read many.
It is told from three POVs.  The female characters are pretty unlikable, but yet still likable.  And the guy character was very likable in my opinion.  I was a little bit confused by it all, but I got the gist.  It's a smart book, I think.  And I didn't see the twist coming at all.  But it was a little too out there for me to give it more than 3 of 5 stars.  But that says more about me than the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment