What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Different Kinds of Struggles

Better than Perfect and Zane and the Hurricane and Sarny all had struggles. How can one put a value on struggles?
I know that we can't rank pain.
This book tells the story of "perfect" Juliet Newman who is from a "perfect" family that starts to fall apart.
Her mom ODs, her parents divorce, she is struggling with her "perfect" boyfriend" and her pending acceptance?  into Harvard.
There is no "perfect" life.  Facebook and Instagram and Twitter might make us think that others have perfect lives.
I knew a woman who was always complaining about other people have such perfect lives.
I would ask, many times, "How do you know their lives are perfect?  Their children are perfect?"  She would tell me that she sees it on Facebook.
There really isn't much to say to that.
I would sometimes (though not often because she was not a woman of good temper) that her Facebook page also displayed a perfect life.  That just didn't seem to sink in at all.
Juliet would be seen as a "perfect" girl and this ill-tempered acquaintance of mine would compare her to her own daughter, and wonder why her own child couldn't be more like Juliet, I am sure.  But this book just hits home the lesson that no one is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment