What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Neurodiverse

After reading Tornado Brain I found out about the term neurodiverse. Now I say right out that I am not
neurodiverse.  The main character of the book, Frankie a seventh grader, is and I do know people who would fall under the term, if it is applied in the way I have seen it defined.  Saying that, I like the term, because it seems to negate the idea idea ADHD and autism aren't abnormal, they are just part of the spectrum of the diversity of human brain function.  I think that any time we stand up and say, "You aren't weird, or your way isn't the 'different' way just because it is different from my way" we are on the way to recognizing our oneness.  We are on the way to remembering that we are all created by the same Loving and All-Good Creator, the image of that Loving and All-Good Creator and therefore we are all good as well and then our job is grow in the likeness of our Loving Creator.  We must affirm our own and one another's holy personhood, our place in the collective family of God.
For me as a Christian, I follow Jesus, Love in the flesh and see the way He lived in the world and try to act as He did.  But now I am off on a tangent-- so let me get back.
When we stop saying "abnormal" when we stop "us" and "them"ing our siblings, we live are getting better.  We are growing into the likeness of the Love that made us all.  
And so for me, is a good term.  

No comments:

Post a Comment